I am currently heavily involved in the environment and level design of a iOS/Android game currently being developed by Matmi New Media, the project has been my first official major 3D title to soon be published worldwide. The main software I have used to produce the assets for this game have been Unity3D, Cinema4D and Adobe Photoshop. The game has already gained (pre-release) interest from numerous multi-award winning companies within the industry and in the future will hope to branch out to smartTV and other platforms.
This was a project that took place throughout my second year at Futureworks, I was given a separate module in which I had the freedom to conduct an independent study of a section/interest within the games industry. I decided to push myself and see if I could design and create a believable 3D world (optimised for mobile devices) and the resultant final piece was a professionally printed A3 portfolio book which show cased each individual object, the character and the landscape as a whole. Alongside my initial intentions, I also produced a working demo in Unity3D in which a player could control a fully-rigged cat and navigate/interact with the world.
Over the past few years I have taught myself how to produce visually exciting websites (they tend to be more visual than functionality!), beginning with my own portfolio websites and then recently branching out to freelance web design. I have created both corporate and creative websites using an array of different software including Cinema 4D, Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
Another project that was to be completed within 6 weeks, I was asked to produce a modular environment with thoughtful gameplay that would last between 3-5 minutes of play time. All the assets were created in 3DsMax and Mudbox for the normal map sculpts – UDK was used to compile and Kismet for scripting the gameplay sequences together.
View a play through here
Play the demo here
I set myself a goal of recreating a space to scale in 3D, something I had previously not been particular about. I measured, sketched and methodically retraced organic shapes to produce something as close to the original (the real room). I used MAXON Cinema 4D R10 to create the interior and used a combination of photography and Adobe Photoshop CS4 to create the texture maps.
To view a selection of images from this project please click here
Convicts was a project I worked on with friends from Futureworks – outside the curriculum. On this project, due to the team being made up of game design students we didn’t have the array of skillsets normally found within a game development team so members had to manage multiple roles within the project to allow it to function. Developed in Unity3D my role within Convicts was lead programmer, level editor and assisting in the creation of 3D assets/gameplay mechanics. The most challenging part of this project was really getting to grips with client/server side coding which was completely new to me (but necessary for the core gameplay).
Play the demo here
This is the result of a 24 hour game-jam made up of the same team from Convicts. My main role in the game-jam was again, the lead programmer but also an environment artist and animator. Due to limited time it was important for all members of the team to contribute to the artistic development of the game as that was the most time-consuming element. We ended up with a very simple (but playable) game, visually the style was beginning to develop by the end of the jam but the gameplay let the game down. We came away realising if we are to do more of these in the future to simplify our concept down to something much more manageable within the set time-frame.
Play the demo here
This project consisted of a team of four students from across the UK, our concept was to create an 2.5D online chatroom for older teenagers to socialise in. I produced two functional spaces in which the players could navigate, the main interface and both generic male and female characters – both of which were customisable.¬† Unfortunately due to other commitments the team couldn’t sustain the work involved in such an intensive project and the game never made it past the alpha stage.
View a preview image of Urbanglobe here
Cube – Master of the Polyverse
This game is currently available on the Android Marketplace for free, it was a project in the summer of 2011 trying to get my head around AS3 and flash (whilst working as a designer at Matmi). The project helped me understand the workflows involved with flash based games and how to get 3D assets in to a workable 2D format, it also allowed me to assist the developers by ‘preparing’ the assets within Adobe Flash instead of sending them the raw image files.
Get the game here